ADSM-L

Re: Log Containing Tape Drive Info

2005-08-30 03:30:20
Subject: Re: Log Containing Tape Drive Info
From: Dirk Kastens <Dirk.Kastens AT UNI-OSNABRUECK DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 09:30:03 +0200
Hi,

Debbie Bassler schrieb:
Our TSM server, 5.1, is on an AIX OS, 4.3.3. Does anyone know of a log
containing information about the tape drives? One of our drives has been
inaccessible since 3:20 this morning. I'd like to write a script to page
me when this happens, but, I don't know if there is a log available to
pull the information from.

We use the AIX error notification object class to get informed
about tape errors. It sends out an email when certain errors
occur.
Create a file called en.add (for example) with the following
content:

errnotify:
        en_name = "tapemail"
        en_persistenceflg = 1
        en_class = "H"
        en_type = "PERM"
        en_rclass = "tape"
        en_method = "errpt -a -l $1 | /bin/mail -s 'TSM Tape Error'
tsmadmin AT your.domain DOT com"

Then add this object to your ODM database with:

# odmadd en.add

Control the success with the command:

# odmget -q"en_name=tapemail" errnotify

You can change the error class and type to cover your needs. The above
example sends a mail to tsmadmin AT your.domain DOT com whenever a
permanent hardware tape error occurs.

Regards,

Dirk Kastens
Universitaet Osnabrueck, Rechenzentrum (Computer Center)
Albrechtstr. 28, 49069 Osnabrueck, Germany
Tel.: +49-541-969-2347, FAX: -2470