ADSM-L

Re: ANR8447E .. Mount failed even though several drives in "idle" status

2005-04-05 08:19:45
Subject: Re: ANR8447E .. Mount failed even though several drives in "idle" status
From: David Nicholson <David_R_Nicholson AT WHIRLPOOL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 08:19:23 -0400
Thanks for the reply Rich...

I am curious about the following from Quick Facts

        In a library shared by multiple servers, you need to define the
number
        of drives actually allocated to each server; otherwise, if you let
        DRIVES prevail, each server may think it should have access to all
the
        drives in the library.

This is a library sharing environment and devclass's on both servers are
set to MOUNTL=DRIVES.   This is the way I have had it set up for a couple
years and I have not noticed it being a problem before.  Actually, I
thought it was recommended to use MOUNTL=DRIVES...but Quick Facts says
otherwise.  Far be it from me to question a quick fact........buuuuttttt
it seems lowering the MOUNTL to something less than "drives" would
somewhat defeat the idea of library sharing.  Does a pre-empt of
MOUNTRETENTION only apply if the "idle" drive was locally allocated?

Thanks in advance

David R. Nicholson

Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
04/05/2005 07:39 AM