ADSM-L

Re: Reclamation and collocation...

2005-02-23 10:37:31
Subject: Re: Reclamation and collocation...
From: asr AT UFL DOT EDU
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:37:04 -0500
==> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:05:16 -0500, "David E Ehresman" <deehre01 AT
louisville DOT edu> said:

> My understanding is that reclamation only reclaims Filling tapes if they
> are marked offsite.  I want to reclaim those volumes.

Ahh, agreed.  I'm doing this too, so I concur that we'd not want to forbid
reclamation of filling's.

> I also send 100-120 tapes offsite each day.  If I did not bring about that
> many back each day, I'd soon run out of both tapes and offsite storage
> space.  That is another reason I need to reclaim those offsite filling
> tapes.

That's a -lot- of traffic.  I don't collocate my offsite pool.  How many
volumes total do you have in your copy pools?

> Now my pet peeve about reclaiming collocated tapes is that they are single
> threaded within a storagepool.  SInce they are collocated, I should be able
> to reclaim multiple tapes at a time without having different reclaims using
> the same input tape. I get around this problem by "reclaiming" my offsite
> tapes using a script that generates 'MOVE DATA' statements for the offsite
> tapes I want to reclaim.  If you really want to not reclaim Filling tapes,
> you could do a similar thing.

I think 5.3 handles the single-threaded problem.  I've considered recasting my
reclamation in this way.  I'd prefer that someone at IBM write code to make my
life easier. ;)

- Allen S. Rout