ADSM-L

Reclamation and collocation...

2005-02-22 19:52:35
Subject: Reclamation and collocation...
From: asr AT UFL DOT EDU
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 19:52:22 -0500
Greetings.

I've got a peeve about how TSM reclaims collocated stgpool volumes, and I
wanted to see if it is widely shared.  If so, I'll try to distill it into a
sane feature request.

I've got a bunch of collocated stgpools now, and I find that I am frequently
reclaiming volumes which are in a FILLING state.  This seems to be
counterproductive to me.

I understand the math behind it: If pct_reclaim >= threshold, then it's a
candidate for reclamation.  But my motiviation to reclaim a tape that is only
20% written is mighty low.  I'd just as soon wait another week/month/whatever,
and use the tape drive time to do other things.

I find that reclamation occupies more tape-head time than any other activity
my TSM server does; I'm essentially never idle unless I've specifically
cleared the decks for some reason.  So spending a lot of time doing "work"
that doesn't buy me anything is aggravating.

So, I ask: Is there some aspect to this I'm missing?  An advantage to
reclaiming a tape that's "50% reclaimable" but only 40% written?  A knob that
already exists to limit reclamation to full volumes?

Or is this same behavior irritating to you folks too?

- Allen S. Rout