ADSM-L

Re: NTFS security

2005-02-15 10:53:00
Subject: Re: NTFS security
From: Henrik Wahlstedt <shwl AT STATOIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 16:52:36 +0100
Hi,

You doesn´t tell us if you restore SystemState with TSM or not. ?
If you are using CBMR from Cristie you should be aware of that CBMR formats
the partition with FAT. CBMR recovers
the files and at the end of the recovery process converts the filesystem
into NTFS. Convert takes place after restore!

I would not expect that your recovered server would have the right rights
when FAT doesnt support rights!!!!

You have default NT rights I asume = Everyone-Fullcontrol....

(I think that it is in the CBMR documentation, last step in a recovery
process...  use TSM... but it was long time ago I read it.)

//Henrik

                    Henrik Hansson

                    <henrik_hansson@A        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT
EDU
                    LBINT.COM>               cc:     (bcc: Henrik Wahlstedt)

                    Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:     NTFS security

                    Dist Stor

                    Manager"

                    <[email protected]

                    .EDU>

                    2005-02-15 14:47

                    Please respond to

                    "ADSM: Dist Stor

                    Manager"

I'm working on a BCR scenario that involves Intel servers.

I have a "master" server that is used for backups and restores. All systems
looks alike (citrix)

I make a bare metal restore with a software Christe.

Then change the name of the Restored system from MF1 to MF2 for insteance.

In TSM I change the node name and filespace name to the new name.

Then I restore the files to the new server with new name. Using the "master
backup" files.

Then I do a SID change...

That works fine, but the NTFS rights isn't correct on the new server.

Does anyone have a thought about why they don't. Everything else seems to e
ok.

this message.
Thank you.