ADSM-L

TCPCLIENTADDRESS in 5.3?

2005-02-14 11:05:20
Subject: TCPCLIENTADDRESS in 5.3?
From: Paul Fielding <paul AT FIELDING DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 09:04:43 -0700
I'm wondering if I'm misunderstanding the use of the TCPCLIENTADDRESS dsm.opt
option.

Historically, I've used the TCPCLIENTADDRESS to force the client to present an
appropriate contact IP to the TSM server if the client has more than one nic,
or when using a cluster configuration.

I've just finished implementing the 5.3 client on a Microsoft Cluster, and used
TCPCLIENTADDRESS to specify the shared IP for the resource group that the
shared TSM service is in.

However, I just noticed that on the server side after connection have been
made, that when I do a 'q node' on the shared node, the TCP address listed is
the non-shared IP as opposed to the one I specified.

Is this appropriate behavior, or is the TSM server/client not following the
rules?

It's not the end of the world, since the dsmcad will at least send *one* of the
correct IPs for the side of the cluster it's on when it starts up, but I'd
rather it was presenting the shared IP instead of the localized IP...

regards,

Paul