ADSM-L

TSM Performance across many small DB Volumes?

2004-12-10 09:43:45
Subject: TSM Performance across many small DB Volumes?
From: David Moore <David.Moore AT LA DOT GOV>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 08:43:26 -0600
Hello List -

TSM 5.2.3
z/OS 1.5

When I came on board as the TSM Admin eight months ago, my site had 46 db
volumes of 500MB each.  Since that time, I've had to increase the DB a few
times, so (not knowing otherwise), I've added 4 more volumes of 500MB each.  I
have no complaints about system performance, as we are backing up 200 nodes and
get through most days without problems.  But, we are a growing system and I
want to make sure we are properly positioned for the future.

If I consolidate the database over fewer volumes (say, 10 2500MB volumes,
rather than 50 500MB volumes), will there be any performance gains?  So far,
the only reason I can see to do it, is to have fewer volumes to declare during
a database restore at the DR site, and I'd like to have more of a reason to
undertake the task.

Also, if I do move forward with the volume consolidation, should I do a
UNLOADDB, LOADFORMAT, LOADDB first?  Will that lead to smoother database
maintenance?

Thanks in advance.

David Moore
State of LA / DOA / OCS