ADSM-L

Re: TSM Performance across many small DB Volumes?

2004-12-10 10:01:25
Subject: Re: TSM Performance across many small DB Volumes?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 09:59:55 -0500
On Dec 10, 2004, at 9:43 AM, David Moore wrote:

...If I consolidate the database over fewer volumes (say, 10
 2500MB volumes, rather than 50 500MB volumes), will there be
 any performance gains? ...

David - The TSM Performance Tuning Guide recommends for OS/390:

    Place the TSM server database and storage pool volumes on
    the fastest I/O disk such as ESS. Also provide enough
    separate physical disks to minimize I/O contention.

You'll find prior debates on this topic in the List archives.
The more, fast disks you spread the db over, the better,
Always go for the center of the disk where possible.

   Richard Sims