ADSM-L

Re: Archives

2004-07-09 14:46:29
Subject: Re: Archives
From: "Rushforth, Tim" <TRushforth AT WINNIPEG DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 13:46:02 -0500
>I bring this up because we have over 200 tapes taking up space in the
>library what are archives only and I would love to get these out and sent
>offsite. Currently a second copy of these files is sent offsite, but I would
>like to do away with that extra work too.

We move all full archive tapes out of our tape library every day via a script.
So TSM can do this.  We keep the tapes on a shelf in our Tape Library room (and
send copies offsite still).  You could send the source copies offsite easily
too via a script.

Just use move drmedia (i don't have the exact syntax becuase I'm not at work)
but you just do that for a specific storage pool.  Although we don't know what
tapes will be used when a user issues a retrieve (we also don't know when a
user issues a retrieve!) but tsm just asks to have the tape mounted - we have
computer room operators that can perform that for us.