ADSM-L

Re: TSM AIX system backup

2004-04-21 10:40:19
Subject: Re: TSM AIX system backup
From: Joe Pendergast <JPendergast AT WATSONPHARM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 07:39:18 -0700
mksysb is separate from TSM and is executed from "smit mksysb" and requires
a locally attached tape drive.

Personally, I prefer to use sysback (now under the TSM umbrella as TSM for
System Backup and Recovery).
Although I have not used the TSM extensions to sysback at this time. The
sysback utility allows you to create boot tapes across the network.

A few suggestions for anyone using sysback as your boot media:
Install all "devices" on your AIX server so sysback will work from other
IBM hardware.  Learned this one during a DR test on different IBM hardware.
Use sysback to create a bootable CD.  This will allow you to boot faster
during DR.  We also found that some systems will not boot from tape due to
a boot image size limitation on tape media.

                      "Crawford, Lindy"
                      <lcrawford@BOECOR        To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      P.CO.ZA>                 cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  TSM AIX system backup
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      04/21/2004 06:58
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Hi TSMers,

Please could you assist me, how can we do a mksysb backup to tape.....????
My TSM server runs on Windows 2000 server advanced, TSM Server 5.1 We will
be upgrading finally to TSM 5.2 ...

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Lindy Crawford
Information Technology
Nedbank Corporate - Property and Asset Finance
 <<...OLE_Obj...>>
Tel     : 031 - 3642185
Fax     : 031 - 3642946
Cell    : 083 632 5982
 Email   : lcrawford AT boecorp.co DOT za <mailto:lcrawford AT boecorp.co DOT
za >