ADSM-L

Re: TSM AIX system backup

2004-04-21 16:18:51
Subject: Re: TSM AIX system backup
From: Jin Bae Chi <jbaechi AT CSCC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 16:18:02 -0400
I'm considering to buy sysback product soon. Here are some questions if you
don't mind..

― How would sysback make bootable CD if it doesn't fit into 1 CD?
― Can I make mksysb and savevg on 1 set of CD? so that I don't even need to use
TSM restore?
― What kind of IBM product do you use as CD writer like external one?
― Can you share CD writer from NIM master for other nim client machine?

Thanks,

Gus

>>> JPendergast AT WATSONPHARM DOT COM 04/21/04 10:42AM >>>
Just a quick clarification:  sysback does not require nim.  I create and
use bootable tapes and CD's with sysback.  They are the core of my DR
processes.

                      Justin Bleistein
                      <justin.bleistein@S        To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      UNGARD.COM>                cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:            Subject:  Re: TSM AIX system
backup
                      Dist Stor Manager"
                      <[email protected]

                      04/21/2004 07:09 AM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

I don't believe TSM has support for mksys
but it does have support for sysback which costs money, and it requires nim
configuration as well.
You could always backup your mksysb image to a disk flat file and backup
that file to tsm, but the problem
there is you use your system image. Unless you use it as the nim server and
configure bootp to use that
file. Just some ideas to play with. For system images though you'd need
sysback I believe.
thanks!.

--Justin Richard Bleistein

|         |           "Crawford, Lindy"|
|         |           <lcrawford@BOECOR|
|         |           P.CO.ZA>         |
|         |           Sent by: "ADSM:  |
|         |           Dist Stor        |
|         |           Manager"         |
|         |           <[email protected]|
|         |           .EDU>            |
|         |           04/21/2004 09:58 |
|         |           "ADSM: Dist Stor |
|         |           Manager"         |

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

  |       To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
  |
  |       cc:
  |
  |       Subject:  TSM AIX system backup

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hi TSMers,

Please could you assist me, how can we do a mksysb backup to tape.....????
My TSM server runs on Windows 2000 server advanced, TSM Server 5.1 We will
be upgrading finally to TSM 5.2 ...

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Lindy Crawford
Information Technology
Nedbank Corporate - Property and Asset Finance
 <<...OLE_Obj...>>
Tel     : 031 - 3642185
Fax     : 031 - 3642946
Cell    : 083 632 5982
 Email   : lcrawford AT boecorp.co DOT za <mailto:lcrawford AT boecorp.co DOT
za >