ADSM-L

Copy Pool expiration conundrum

2004-03-10 15:24:42
Subject: Copy Pool expiration conundrum
From: Jim Kirkman <jmk AT EMAIL.UNC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 15:23:38 -0500
So, I had been eagerly awaiting the move nodedata capabilities in 5.x
(5.1.7.3 in our case) to facilitate a migration of data from 3490
storage pools to 3590 storage pools. I have reassigned a number of
clients to some new policy domains and ran as many scheduled selective
backups as I could, all when we were still on 4.x. This all worked
lovely as new versions expired old versions and copy pool tapes were
reclaimed and scratched as necessary.

However, on some nodes I've used the move nodedata thinking that as
primary pools were backed up to copy pools and data was no longer
present in the primary the copy pool data would expire, but this has not
been the case.
So now I have data in two copy pools and am scratching my head as to how
to get rid of the 'orphaned' stuff on 3490. Am I missing something or is
this working as designed and I need to rethink my strategy?

--
Jim Kirkman
AIS - Systems