ADSM-L

Re: Can't define IBM3583-L72 LTO library to TSM

2004-03-05 05:13:50
Subject: Re: Can't define IBM3583-L72 LTO library to TSM
From: Christo Heuer <christoh AT ABSA.CO DOT ZA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 12:13:39 +0200
Hi Zoltan,

When you say you are trying to define a path to /dev/smc0 you are trying to
define
a path to the library - not the drives - so even if the drives are
responding fine with
the tapeutil command you can still have problems with the library - the
drives can function
without the library when using the tapeutil.

Check if the library is not maybe in offline/paused mode - the lsdev command
will just show that it is happy and it can see the library - but when TSM
wants to talk to the library it checks additional things before defining the
path. Are you actualy defining the path to /dev/smc0 as a library path or a
drive path? What parameter are you using for the desttype - tape or library?

If you are specifying library then it sounds like your library is in paused
mode - check via the web interface into the 3583 what the problem is.

Cheers
Christo

> I have spent hours and hours trying to get TSM server 5.2.2.0 on AIX 5.1
> to define the PATH to the above tape library.
>
> Every time I click on defining the PATH (/dev/smc0) to this library, TSM
> goes off and spins for a while, eventually coming back with some kind of
> error about being unable to communicate with the device.
>
> I have repeately removed and rediscovered the library and drives
> (restarted the TSM server numerous times).
>
> Played with tapeutil. It can successfully open the tape drives themselves,
> no problem.
>
> LSDEV says everything is happy:  smc0 Available 1D-08-01 IBM 3583 Library
> Medium Changer (FCP)
>
> So, what am I missing ?  What am I doing wrong ?

E-mail Disclaimer and Company Information

http://www.absa.co.za/ABSA/EMail_Disclaimer