ADSM-L

Re: Idle Waits

2004-01-21 11:23:52
Subject: Re: Idle Waits
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 11:23:25 -0500
>What are some of the more common Idle Wait problems?  We have a few
>(about 5) nodes that back up into the daytime.  Either they have long
>idle wait times, or they have numerous short idle waits (like say 10
>seconds or so).  I am told the NIC cards have been checked.  Thanks for
>any information. ...

Andy - I wouldn't expect it to be a problem, per se, but rather a
       consequence of busy-time (during the day) processing.
Expect the client to be running through its file system seeking the next
changed file to back up, which may be few and far between in some cases.
A client that is busy doing other things takes away from TSM client
processor share and more idle wait time, as does an otherwise busy file
system (made worse by virus checking).

  Richard Sims, BU