ADSM-L

Re: Antw: Upgrade db

2004-01-21 11:30:10
Subject: Re: Antw: Upgrade db
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 10:29:42 -0600
It can't hurt! If you don't need to run it, it will complete fairly
quickly without doing anything. If you do need it, it will toil away and
do its job. I was surprised at how much it cleaned up - my database went
from 92% full to 79% full. Run it on a weekend - it is fairly compute
intensive if it does some actual good.

If you run it, and it does actual work, watch out for a Log fillup! If
you don't already have 12gb of log space, you might want to temporarily
add a log volume to make it 12GB before running CLEANUP BACKUPGROUPS.
(Why 12GB? The max is 13GB. You always want to leave some room under the
13GB limit so that if it does actually fill up, you can rescue yourself
by adding the last GB. If you fill up the entire 13GB limit, you'll be
really badly stuck.) If it threatens to fill the log, you can cancel the
CLEANUP BACKUPGROUPS process, run a database backup to empty the log,
and restart CLEANUP BACKUPGROUPS.

(Yes, I had a full-log-crash during CLEANUP BACKUPGROUPS. I am NOT
running LOGMODE ROLLFORWARD.)