ADSM-L

Re: tape status

2003-10-23 23:37:37
Subject: Re: tape status
From: Deon George <dgeorge AT AU1.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:35:44 +1000
Dat,

Q VOL will only show SCRATCH tapes that have data on them, or DEFINED
tapes (when you use the define vol command), or sometimes (as you've
captured below), you will also see SCRATCH tapes that are EMPTY - this
will be because:

* They recently became empty and TSM hasnt yet deleted them (returning
them to the "scratch pool") - very rare,
* They are empty and offsite (as your example is below),

(Offsite SCRATCH volumes that are empty, remain in Q VOL so that you can
bring them back onsite - as soon as you mark them as onsite, they will be
deleted from Q VOL).

Now, if your tapes are empty and in your library and you CANT see them
with q VOL, then you will be able to see the with Q LIBV.

If you do a HELP UPDATE VOL - it'll tell you when TSM will delete SCRATCH
volumes from Q VOL.

To answer your question, do you need to relabel them - no. (You would only
need to relabel tapes if they were used by something outside of TSM -
which overwrote the TSM label.)

...deon
---
Have you looked at the A/NZ Tivoli User Group website?
http://www.tuganz.org

Deon George, IBM Tivoli Software Engineer, IBM Australia
Office: +61 3 9626 6058, Fax: +61 3 9626 6622, Mobile: +61 412 366 816,
IVPN +70 66058
mailto:dgeorge AT au1.ibm DOT com, http://www.ibm.com/tivoli

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 24/10/2003
10:34:24 AM: