ADSM-L

Re: tape status

2003-10-24 01:33:30
Subject: Re: tape status
From: Deon George <dgeorge AT AU1.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 15:31:40 +1000
Dat,

No, TSM will NEVER let you (re)label a tape, if the tape is already known
to the current TSM server (ie: it is defined in Q VOLHIST or Q VOL).
If you try, in your activity log you'll see a label libv failure and the
reason why (and the existing label)...

If the tape was previously defined (you saw it in Q VOL), and now you cant
see it in Q VOL, then it is one of two things:

* It was a SCRATCH volume, that became empty and TSM deleted it.
* It was not a scratch volume, but a defined volume (DEF VOL command) and
somebody deleted it.

(You will know if volumes are scratch when you do a Q VOL F=D and look at
the "Scratch:" line.

...deon
---
Have you looked at the A/NZ Tivoli User Group website?
http://www.tuganz.org

Deon George, IBM Tivoli Software Engineer, IBM Australia
Office: +61 3 9626 6058, Fax: +61 3 9626 6622, Mobile: +61 412 366 816,
IVPN +70 66058
mailto:dgeorge AT au1.ibm DOT com, http://www.ibm.com/tivoli

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 24/10/2003
02:10:47 PM:

> Deon,
>
> Sorry if i was a bit vague, the question i am asking is does relable
destroy
> existing known tsm tapes or does tsm smart enough to know and prevent
you
> from doing it.
> Secondly the tape was already define to tsm previous, why now does it
give
> me this error (we havent use it elsewhere)
>
> > ANR2034E QUERY VOLUME: No match found using this criteria.
> > ANS8001I Return code 11
>

> I've also tried q libvol , but the tape isnt there either.
>

> Regards
>
> Dat

SCRATCH