ADSM-L

TSM Scheduler not contacting clients

2003-10-01 20:24:24
Subject: TSM Scheduler not contacting clients
From: Mark Ferraretto <mark.ferraretto AT DB DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 08:21:01 +0800
All,

I am running TSM 5.1.6.1  on AIX 5.1ML3.  In the last few weeks it's started
exhibiting a rather strange problem where the scheduler seems not to contact
the clients to start the backup schedule.

Halting TSM and restarting it seems to fix it for a few days and then it will
start again.

Checking the actlog, I stop seeing 'Schedule prompter contacting...' messages.
And, of course, the following day I see a whole stack of 'Missed' backups.
Sometimes the prompter may contact one or two (out of about 100) systems before
stopping altogether.  We have 100 Nodes - 50 Unix (Solaris/Linux/AIX) and 50
NT/2000 systems.  All are running file-based backups.   We also have a single
Notes server (NT) that's backed up using TDP.  All are in prompted mode.

I haven't been able to find any error messages in the TSM log.  Just an absence
of prompter messages like I said before.

Can anyone help?

Mark

--
Mark Ferraretto
Unix Systems Administrator

notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized
forbidden.