ADSM-L

Copypool Reclamation

2003-09-19 15:03:37
Subject: Copypool Reclamation
From: Mark Bertrand <Mark.Bertrand AT USUNWIRED DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 13:58:23 -0500
How does Copypool reclamation work? I mean, the tapes are offsite, so is all
of the reclamation done within the database?

When I start the copypool reclamation with an "upd stg copypool reclaim=50"
it tells me what tapes it is going to perform reclamation on. Everything is
OK, those tapes are offsite and my tapepool tapes are onsite ( I run a
tapepool reclamation separate). I always understood that the process took
place in the database and didn't actual need the tapes directly. This
morning I noticed an anr1081i.
09/19/2003 09:05:05 ANR1040I Space reclamation started for volume xxxACRLx,
storage pool COPYPOOL (process number 745).
09/19/2003 09:08:14 ANR1081W Space reclamation terminated for volume
xxxACRLx - storage media inaccessible.
Help on anr1081w shows that the tape was unavailable to mount, server waits
and retries again, no user response.
Do I have to checkin all tapes on the list for every copypool reclamation
process everyday? Have I been doing it wrong for the last couple of years?
I have read the technical guide and information guide redbooks but neither
had much detail on the subject. I did find out one thing that brings up
another question, to start reclamation, the technical guide state to use a
number between 99 and 50 percent, why cutoff at 50% I have been running at
40% and at times have used 30%? Will the system recognize numbers lower than
50?
OK last question on reclamation, is my goal to have the tapes listed with q
vol that have a status of full to have as close to 100% utilized as I can
get them to take full advantage of my library?
I appreciate any help you can give to help me understand reclamation better,
even if it is to direct me to another publication that has the details on
this subject. I also tried search.adsm.org but could not get to it this
morning.
System TSM Server 5.1.6.3 with DRM, Win 2K. 3584 Library
Thanks,
Mark Bertrand