ADSM-L

Ghost devices after a BMR of Windows2000

2003-07-14 17:23:11
Subject: Ghost devices after a BMR of Windows2000
From: Bill Boyer <bill.boyer AT VERIZON DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 17:22:43 -0400
Did a BMR of a Windows2000 server to a different more current hardware.
After the restore it wouldn't let us assign the IP address to the "new"
adapter because it said there was an "old" adapter with that address already
defined. Going to the Device manager the old adapters did not show up with
the little yellow icon sayint they were inactive/in error. We couldn't find
a way to uninstall the "old" adapter definitions so we could assign the IP
address to the "new" adapter.

Anyone run into similar situations like this wiht BMR to different hardware?
We ended up searching the registry for the adapter string and deleteing all
those keys. Not pretty, but it worked.

Bill Boyer
"Some days you are the bug, some days you are the windshield." - ??