ADSM-L

Re: New to TSM

2003-06-12 09:10:29
Subject: Re: New to TSM
From: Peter Turlis <Peter.Turlis AT HENKEL-AMERICAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 08:50:10 -0400
I'm running TSM on both AIX ( an M80 4-way with IBM ESS/Shark disk ) and an
AS/400 iSeries 810-2way.

The iSeries is has the following positive attributes:
- Disk Management is super easy, no need to worry about file systems, LVM
configuration, etc.
- Work Management is wonderful compared to AIX. It was easy to "confine"
TSM to its own subsystem, to monitor and control cpu and memory resources
used, and tune to overall machine.
- In the event of a complete MELTDOWN of the TSM server ( OS, file system,
hardware ) the AS/400 is a MUCH simpler machine to recover, particularly if
you consider having to recover on dissimilar hardware, like at a disaster
recovery site.

iSeries Negatives:
-There is an extra layer ( OS/400 ) involved with the libraries. You have
to use OS/400 to move tapes in and out of the library ( at least this is my
experience ).
- There is no NATIVE TSM Backup Archive client for OS/400. I like the
features available in the AIX client that allow you to do things like:
Display the tape library, and output to a comma delimited file. I have not
found a way to do this on the AS/400, yet. Tivoli is nearing BETA for an
OS/400 client though.

Other Notes:
- I'm getting better performance, currently, with OS/400 vs AIX. Although
there are a lot of variables and to a certain extent the analysis is apples
vs oranges.

- IBM will tell you that  you can't run BOTH the TSM Server  and  TDP/API
for NOTES on the same OS/400 instance. They're wrong, it works fine, its
simply a matter of creating a symbolic link to facilitate the INSTALL
process.

Peter Turlis
(860) 571-5399

When the Dream is big enough ...
    ....... the Facts don't count

                    Mark Cini
                    <Mark.Cini@CFGRA       To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    PHICS.COM>             cc:     (bcc: Peter
Turlis/Corp/Americas/HENKEL)
                    Sent by: "ADSM:        Subject:     New to TSM
                    Dist Stor
                    Manager"
                    <[email protected]
                    T.EDU>

                    06/11/2003 05:01
                    PM
                    Please respond
                    to "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

Hello all.

We are in the process of ditching our current BackupExec/ArcServe setup in
favor of a central TSM environment.  We have decided to expand our
existing 3494 tape library (additional frame w/ 2 3590 drives, SCSI) but
haven't selected the hardware/operating system for the TSM server.  These
are our options:

Dell 2600/Win2000
pSeries/AIX
iSeries820/PASE

Any recommendations for one system over another for the TSM server?  The
Win2000 option would be the cheapest but would it cause headaches down the
road?

thanks,

Mark Cini
Systems Administrator