ADSM-L

Re: V5 move nodedata command - Any gotchas???

2003-04-30 12:13:14
Subject: Re: V5 move nodedata command - Any gotchas???
From: David E Ehresman <deehre01 AT LOUISVILLE DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 12:12:00 -0400
If you are only moving SELECTED nodes from pool A to pool B, and not all
nodes, and you define a new copy pool for new primary pool B, you will
end up with duplicate data (and therefore wasted tape and offsite
storage slots) in your copy pool pools.

You MOVE NODEDATA  from primary tape poolA to poolB.  You then as part
of your daily processing BACKUP STG poolB copy_poolB and that gives you
a new offsite copy of the data in copy_ poolB.  The move nodedata
updates the primary pool pointers so you only have a single copy in
primary storage but there is no easy way to get rid of the data in
poolA's copypool because you can not move nodedata between copypools.
So you end up with the node's data in copy_poolA and copy_poolB.  The
only way I have found around this was to determine which copy_poolA
tapes the node had data on, do a DELETE VOL DISCARDDATA=YES on those
volumes, and then BACKUP STG poolA copy_poolA to recreate the offsite
data for those nodes that were not moved from poolA that were on the
volume(s) you deleted.

After giving me a couple of wrong answers, Tivoli Support said yes,
that must be the best way.

David Ehresman
>>> andy.wilcox AT AQUILA-NETWORKS.CO DOT UK 04/30/03 11:47AM >>>
Since upgrading our TSM services to 5.1.6.2 (AIX 4.3.3) I seem to just
be
investigating the new features and whether or not they are of any
benefit.
The latest one for me which looks like it could help me out enormously
is
the move nodedata comand...

The reason that it is useful to me is that our TSM services have been
running for several years now, but were never setup to handle the
number of
clients they do now, so moving nodes into new/alternate Storage pools
and
domains is something I have toyed with but never done up until now as
it has
never been an easy task.

I have been trialling my thoughts and testing the move nodedata command
out
in a test environment by moving the data from tape storage pool A to B
and
updating the domain of the client from A to B. (I've noticed you cannot
move
data in copypools, so I assume I have to leave the data in copypool A
expire naturally). I forgot to mention that before doing this, I made
sure
that domain B had the relevant management classes defined.

What kind of worries me is that it all seemed a bit on the easy side
and
works... can it really have become this easy or have I missed
something
blatently obvious that could catch me out in the not too distant
future?

Cheers

Andy Wilcox
Midrange Services
Aquila Networks Services Ltd

Confidentiality: This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are
confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity
to whom they are addressed.  If you have received this e-mail in error,
use of this information (including disclosure, copying or distribution)
may be unlawful.  Please notify postmaster AT aquila-networks.co DOT uk. and
delete the message immediately.
Security: Internet e-mail is not a 100% secure communications medium.
Viruses: This e-mail (and any attachments) has been checked (using
Sophos Sweep 3.63 + patches) and found to be clean from any virus
infection before leaving.
Therefore neither Aquila Networks Services Ltd nor Midlands Electricity
plc  or any of their group undertakings  (as defined by the Companies
Act 1989) (together referred to as the "Companies") accept legal
responsibility for this message or liability for the consequences of any
computer viruses which may have been transmitted by this e-mail.

Monitoring: All electronic communications with the Companies may be
monitored in accordance with the UK Regulation of Investigatory Powers
Act, Lawful Business Practice Regulations, 2000.  If you do not consent
to such monitoring, you should contact the sender of this e-mail.
Aquila Networks Services Limited,
Registered office: Whittington Hall, Whittington, Worcester, WR5 2RB
Registered in England and Wales number 3600545
This e-mail may be sent on behalf of any of the Companies.