ADSM-L

V5 move nodedata command - Any gotchas???

2003-04-30 11:53:47
Subject: V5 move nodedata command - Any gotchas???
From: "Wilcox, Andy" <andy.wilcox AT AQUILA-NETWORKS.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 16:47:32 +0100
Since upgrading our TSM services to 5.1.6.2 (AIX 4.3.3) I seem to just be
investigating the new features and whether or not they are of any benefit.
The latest one for me which looks like it could help me out enormously is
the move nodedata comand...

The reason that it is useful to me is that our TSM services have been
running for several years now, but were never setup to handle the number of
clients they do now, so moving nodes into new/alternate Storage pools and
domains is something I have toyed with but never done up until now as it has
never been an easy task.

I have been trialling my thoughts and testing the move nodedata command out
in a test environment by moving the data from tape storage pool A to B and
updating the domain of the client from A to B. (I've noticed you cannot move
data in copypools, so I assume I have to leave the data in copypool A  to
expire naturally). I forgot to mention that before doing this, I made sure
that domain B had the relevant management classes defined.

What kind of worries me is that it all seemed a bit on the easy side and
works... can it really have become this easy or have I missed something
blatently obvious that could catch me out in the not too distant future?

Cheers

Andy Wilcox
Midrange Services
Aquila Networks Services Ltd

Confidentiality: This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential
and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are
addressed.  If you have received this e-mail in error, use of this information
(including disclosure, copying or distribution) may be unlawful.  Please notify
postmaster AT aquila-networks.co DOT uk. and delete the message immediately.
Security: Internet e-mail is not a 100% secure communications medium.
Viruses: This e-mail (and any attachments) has been checked (using Sophos Sweep
3.63 + patches) and found to be clean from any virus infection before leaving.
Therefore neither Aquila Networks Services Ltd nor Midlands Electricity plc  or
any of their group undertakings  (as defined by the Companies Act 1989)
(together referred to as the "Companies") accept legal responsibility for this
message or liability for the consequences of any computer viruses which may
have been transmitted by this e-mail.

Monitoring: All electronic communications with the Companies may be monitored
in accordance with the UK Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act, Lawful
Business Practice Regulations, 2000.  If you do not consent to such monitoring,
you should contact the sender of this e-mail.
Aquila Networks Services Limited,
Registered office: Whittington Hall, Whittington, Worcester, WR5 2RB
Registered in England and Wales number 3600545
This e-mail may be sent on behalf of any of the Companies.