ADSM-L

Re: restore to a different node (part 2)

2003-04-07 17:39:31
Subject: Re: restore to a different node (part 2)
From: "Coats, Jack" <Jack.Coats AT BANKSTERLING DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 16:40:19 -0500
Mark,
        Not that is can't be done, but from my experience and asking on the
list, doing cross system architecture restores are no possible.
        I hope you find that I am incorrect.

        Why?  The simplified basics are that the details of the security,
permissions, allocation, etc, information is stored as a glob in the TSM
database, not as something queriable.  So if the file system you are
restoring to is not of a 'close enough' type of file system as what the
files (and the globbed data) came from, there is not a possibility that the
restored file system information will be useable by the restored system.
        Does that make sense at all?  [If some IBMers can help confirm /
deny my understanding, it might help us all out].

        We have even been trying to restore Novel 4.11 data on Novel 5
client, and have not been able to accomplish that.

        Restoring Windows to UNIX or Novell (or other
combination/permutation) all seem to have the same issues.   Most UNIX of
different flavors will restore to other UNIX properly (i.e. Solaris to/from
Linux), but not Linux to Windows).  At least that is my experience.