ADSM-L

Backup sets not expiring --- wonder why?

2003-03-06 09:45:03
Subject: Backup sets not expiring --- wonder why?
From: "Coats, Jack" <Jack.Coats AT BANKSTERLING DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 08:44:02 -0600
I have 3 tapes that were backupsets that should have expired LONG ago, but
have not.

They were created under TSM server 4.1.3 on Windows NT.  We did a migration
to Win2K and TSM server 4.2.3.1.

I did try the undocumented command (thanks to Wanda for helping me to this
point!) that Wanda found in the lists archives:
<quote>
In TSM versions prior to 2.7.4 and 4.1.3 there was a bug concerning deletion
or expiry of backupsets. This bug is solved in the newer versions, that is,
delete works as it should (removes entry from volhist). The expire however,
still does not work 'as designed' : the volumes still remain in the volhist,
even after the backupset has expired and dissappeared. To get those volume
out of the volhist (evt. make them repappear as scratch volumes) you have to
use the following (undocumented !) command:
delete volhist TOD=today-nn vol=<volumename> TYPE=backupset force=yes
</quote>

Here is the list from my 'q volhist' of the tapes in question:

       Date/Time: 08/27/2002 10:33:53
     Volume Type: BACKUPSET
   Backup Series:
Backup Operation:
      Volume Seq: 1
    Device Class: LTOCLASS1
     Volume Name: 175ACBL1
 Volume Location:
         Command: GENERATE BACKUPSET TSM tsm-bs  DEVCLASS=LTOCLASS1
RETENTION=7
                   SCRATCH=YES  WAIT=NO

       Date/Time: 09/16/2002 10:58:00
     Volume Type: BACKUPSET
   Backup Series:
Backup Operation:
      Volume Seq: 1
    Device Class: LTOCLASS1
     Volume Name: 161ACBL1
 Volume Location:
         Command: generate backupset tsm full * devclass=ltoclass1 scr=yes
                   ret=30 descr="TSM Full" wait=n

       Date/Time: 09/20/2002 10:36:16
     Volume Type: BACKUPSET
   Backup Series:
Backup Operation:
      Volume Seq: 1
    Device Class: LTOCLASS1
     Volume Name: 204ACBL1
 Volume Location:
         Command: generate backupset tsm full * dev=ltoclass1 ret=30

Suggestions?  Thanks to all for the assistance! ... Jack