ADSM-L

Re: drm operator scripts

2002-10-26 12:24:42
Subject: Re: drm operator scripts
From: Matt Simpson <msimpson AT UKY DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 12:23:35 -0400
At 11:48 PM -0500 10/25/02, Mark Stapleton wrote:

That's exactly what will happen. If you set the reusedelay for 1 day, it
will mean that it will be 24 hours before those tapes can be checked in a
scratch tapes--loads of time to make sure that the right tapes are
retrieved.

But that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid.  With our existing
systems (ACSLS talking to Unitree and OS/390), the tapes come back,
the operators put them in the silo entry doors and walk away.  No
need for checkin commands, manual checking, etc.  We'd like to make
TSM at least half as friendly as our existiing systems.

In the best of circumstances, Matt, a manual audit of all vaulted tapes
should be done on a regular basis (once a year, once a quarter, whatever) no
matter what kind of system you maintain.

Maybe.  But we've never done it before. And I don't like the idea
that TSM makes it more necessary, but it sure seems like it does.
--

Matt Simpson --  OS/390 Support
219 McVey Hall  -- (859) 257-2900 x300