ADSM-L

Re: Orphan backupset tape

2002-10-06 15:18:34
Subject: Re: Orphan backupset tape
From: Joerg Pohlmann <jpohlman AT CA.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 12:04:16 -0700
Werner, do a del volhist vol=<THE VOLUME SERIAL NUMBER IN UPPER CASE>
type=backupset todate=today force=yes.

Joerg Pohlmann
604-535-0452

Werner Kliewer <VKliewer AT MPI.MB DOT CA>
2002-10-02 08:14

        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
        cc:
        Subject:        Orphan backupset tape

We have an NSM still running TSM 4.1.3. In it we have an LTO cartridge in
the library that is marked in the libvols and volhist tables as being part
of a backupset. The backupset has been deleted - actually, it expired - at
some point in the past, but I cannot reclaim the cartridge for the scratch
pool. Neither the "update libvol" nor "update volhist" commands will allow
me to update the cartridge.

How do I clear the rows from the database (these two and any other tables
that may be involved) so that I can reclaim the cartridge?

If it cannot be done at 4.1.3, will it be possible at the 4.2.1 level
which is the next level we can upgrade the NSM to? How about 4.2.2 which
we will need to get to to solve some PMR's we have open.

Or do I have to open a PMR for this one as well?

Werner Kliewer
in Winnipeg