ADSM-L

Re: Orphan backupset tape

2002-10-02 12:04:15
Subject: Re: Orphan backupset tape
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 10:57:55 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
Werner Kliewer
> We have an NSM still running TSM 4.1.3. In it we have an LTO
> cartridge in the library that is marked in the libvols and
> volhist tables as being part of a backupset. The backupset has
> been deleted - actually, it expired - at some point in the past,
> but I cannot reclaim the cartridge for the scratch pool. Neither
> the "update libvol" nor "update volhist" commands will allow me
> to update the cartridge.

Try this (undocumented) command:

  del volhist type=backupset volume=<volume_name>
        todate=<date_of_backupset_creation> force=yes

Again, this is undocumented, and Tivoli (and I) can make no guarantees about
the results. However, I have used this command several times, and it seems
to work just fine with no repercussions.

If this still doesn't work, you've run across a bug in version 4.1 that
prevented proper deletion of backupsets that should expire normally. You'll
have to go to 5.1 to overcome it.

> How do I clear the rows from the database (these two and any
> other tables that may be involved) so that I can reclaim the cartridge?

You can't (and shouldn't try to) write directly to the database.

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer
MCSE