ADSM-L

Re: updating from to 5.1 (Problems?), LANFREE?

2002-09-25 04:10:13
Subject: Re: updating from to 5.1 (Problems?), LANFREE?
From: Suad <s.musovich AT AUCKLAND.AC DOT NZ>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 20:04:23 +1200
> furthermore we will get a new data warehouse machine on friday.
> Including FastT via FibreChannel.
>
> The TSM-Library is a 3584 Ultrium LTO Fibrechannel.
>
> I would like to backup the data warehouse directly via FC to tape,
> probably sending only the TSM-DB-Info to the TSM-Server. (almost
> LANFree!?). Any suggestions?

If your warehousing client/OS  has a supported TDP/Agent then you can
backup via Lan Free.

Marketing reference:
http://www.tivoli.com/support/storage_mgr/san/lanfree.html

I would check if the data goes directly to tape as Tivoli didn't have
code for direct SCSI copy (3rd party SCSI), in the past. The data path
would go to the TSM server then to the tape device (effectively like a
FC in-band backup).
I've read a user guide recently that points to direct device name
registration, so it may implemented.

Cheers, Suad