ADSM-L

Re: Anyone tried 5.1.1.6?

2002-09-24 20:22:29
Subject: Re: Anyone tried 5.1.1.6?
From: Steve Roder <spr AT REXX.ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 20:21:58 -0400
> Hi Fred,
>
> I just took a v4.2.2.12 AIX server to v5.1.1.6 last Saturday.
> All I can say is 'not pretty'. This is due to the SYSTEM OBJECT
> problem. If you don't know what this is, you will soon if you
> have WinXP and Win2K clients backing up to v4 and pre v5.1.1.6
> servers.

Does this problem only occur with WinXP and Win2K clients?  What about
Win9x and WinNT?

Either I don't have any Win2K/WinXP clients, or TSM does not set the
platform to Win2k/WinXP?  Are these OS's also known by some version number
of NT?

> The basic problem is that TSM isn't expiring anything in the
> SYSTEM OBJECTs filespace. Some of our clients had over 20GB
> in these filespaces! Needless to say, the database blew up
> while trying to find out what was going on.
>
> To see if you have this problem, you can type in
>
> show version <nodename> "SYSTEM OBJECT" namet=uni > file
>
> (only use namet=uni if the filespace is unicode). Then
> check through the file and look for the number of occurrences
> of a file, say ROUTE.EXE. A normal SYSTEM OBJECT filespace,
> with four versions, shouldn't be over a gig.
>
> The good news is that v5.1.1.6 does NOT have the SYSTEM
> OBJECT problem and the new server is doing very well.
>
> I am writing up the post mortem on the conversion and will
> post to the list later this week (at the request of Tivoli
> level 2).
>
> Gretchen Thiele
> Princeton University

Steve Roder, University at Buffalo
HOD Service Coordinator
VM Systems Programmer
UNIX Systems Administrator (Solaris and AIX)
TSM/ADSM Administrator
(spr AT buffalo DOT edu | (716)645-3564)