ADSM-L

Re: Monitor TSM via SNMP

2002-09-10 09:30:34
Subject: Re: Monitor TSM via SNMP
From: "Frost, Dave" <dave.frost AT GUARDIANIT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 14:28:23 +0100
Bill,

I am not sure whether the snmp monitor is sufficient... not that I've ever
managed to get it working in solaris (!).  Nor is simply checking for the
presence of the process good enough.  We've found that the server can on
occasion fail or timeout backup sessions, yet still accept admin
connections, and _appear_ to be working ok.  So your test needs to do some
actual work.

What we do is run a script from cron every 15 mins for each tsm instance.
This calls a "dsmc incr" on a small directory where there will be changed
files (we use the monitor working directory itself), and expects to see (1)
a zero result code, and (2) a return within 2 minutes.

Any failure can then cause whatever notification event you like.

You should also write in an easy method of preventing notification for an
instance if you happen to be working on it - upgrading it for example.

  regards,

-=Dave=-
--
+44 (0)20 7608 7140

English does not just borrow words from other languages, it is known for
mugging them in dark alleys and looting them wholesale.