ADSM-L

Re: Data transfer rates with TSM for OS/390

2002-08-20 14:04:55
Subject: Re: Data transfer rates with TSM for OS/390
From: Bill Boyer <bill.boyer AT VERIZON DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 09:30:07 -0400
I had a client that ran TSM on OS/390 2.9 on a 9672-R44 with Fast Ethernet
cards. The most I saw was about a 10-12GB/hour throughput on backups. I
couldn't seem to push it any further than that. Now if you could move to the
Gigabit adapters...then you get some throughput. It's an architecture
limitation mostly. The Tokenring and FEthernet cards are still under the
channel-CU-unit structure. The Gigabit cards are direct memory transfers so
the normal I/O overhead of building the channel program, starting the I/O on
the channel plus the disconnect time and such are removed. You should also
be on OS/390 2.5 or above for the added benefits of the native BPX socket
calls. Your throughput isn't much better, but the CPU utilization of the TSM
address space is dramatically reduced. You can see this by doing a QUERY
SESSION, the Comm. Method should say BPX-TCP/IP.

Bill Boyer
DSS, Inc.