ADSM-L

Re: How to back up multiple instances of DB2 of Windows

2002-08-20 14:04:54
Subject: Re: How to back up multiple instances of DB2 of Windows
From: Bill Boyer <bill.boyer AT VERIZON DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 09:17:45 -0400
I'm doing this on an AIX DB2 install. There are 4-instances, but in the case
of AIX, each instance has its own startup script where I can specify a
different DSM.OPT file for each. I use the format of <hostname>_<instance>
as the nodename. For Windows, I would imaging you could code up a script
file (.BAT or .CMD) that would set the DSMI_* variables accordingly for the
instance you want to run the CLP against. My Windows DB2 server only has 1
instance, so I set them as part of the system environment. You could also
set the TSM_* database configuration options for each DB using the
appropriate nodename. (GET DB CFG FOR <db>) Do you have the redbook "Backing
up DB2 using TSM"? They suggest that the TSM_* db attributes are for restore
only and shouldn't be used for backups, but it doesn't say you CAN'T use
them.

What I'm still trying to figure out is the difference in ONLINE vs. OFFLINE
backups. If I run ONLINE backups do I really need to do OFFLINE backups,
too????

Bill Boyer
DSS, Inc.