ADSM-L

Re: Bizarre Delete Volhist behaviour on AIX 4.3.3

2002-08-05 13:38:58
Subject: Re: Bizarre Delete Volhist behaviour on AIX 4.3.3
From: Shannon Bach <SBach AT MGE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 12:40:33 -0500
Try this....

DELETE VOLHISTORY TODATE=TODAY TOTIME=NOW-9:00 TYPE=DBBACKUP

this all depends on how much dbbackup you what to keep.  I just keep the
latest series that includes a full backup and the incre's that follow it.

Shannon Bach
Madison Gas & Electric Co.
Operations Analyst - Data Center Services
Office 608-252-7260
Fax 608-252-7098
e-mail sbach AT mge DOT com

                      Justin Derrick
                      <jderrick@CANADA.        To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      COM>                     cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Bizarre Delete Volhist
behaviour on AIX 4.3.3
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      08/04/2002 02:36
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

The system in question is an RS/6000 H80 running AIX 4.3.3 ML 9, both
on TSM 4.1.3.0 and 5.1.1.0.

The volume history file hadn't been cleaned out in a very long time
(since 1997), and when we went to clean it up with the following
command:
        del volhist todate=12/31/1999 type=dbbackup
It returned saying that it had deleted 55 entries.  When I queried
the volhistory again, the first dbbackup entries were from 1998.
When I issued the command again, TSM reported that 0 entries were
deleted.

The system was installed early last year, and the TSM database was
migrated from an old RS/6000 590 running AIX 4.3.3 at a lower
Maintenance Level.

Any insight into the problem would be appreciated.

-JD.