ADSM-L

Re: TSM and MS Exchange (MailBox Restore and Exchange 2000 Improvements)

2002-07-22 08:50:47
Subject: Re: TSM and MS Exchange (MailBox Restore and Exchange 2000 Improvements)
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 15:38:29 +0300
Tony, could you explain a bit more. I am somewhat confused.
You (instead of CA?) "fought" to fix Arcserve agent for 8 months??? Was it
so broken? What means 95% operational, what are the rest 5%, what was the
percentage before those 8 months? And what on the end is "tolerable",
something you still did not got fixed?
TSM does NOT do brick level restores because Microsoft does not do it -
the backup APIs are for information stores. Other vendors are attempting
to use messaging APIs and DO NOT restore messages but create new ones with
same content. This was explained on this list many times.
There was something in one of the discussions remark that Microsoft (not
Tivoli) is planning to enhance/modify their APIs. But if Microsoft does
not provide an API for mailbox restore then Tivoli simply would not do it.
There is a joke about a gynecologist who painted a room through key hole.
But I would not accept all rooms in my office to be painted using this
technology and with that speed.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant