ADSM-L

Re: TSM 5.1 COST

2002-07-16 18:20:36
Subject: Re: TSM 5.1 COST
From: "Wayne T. Smith" <ADSM AT MAINE DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 18:18:47 -0400
On 16 Jul 2002 at 16:14, PINNI, BALANAND (SBCSI) wrote, in part:
> Can ANY ONE TELL ME HOW MUCH VER 5.1 TSM WOULD COST.

I'm pretty sure the answer is nearly "no".

3rd party IBM partners skilled in this (several frequent this list --
see the archives at http://www.adsm.org/ ) could ask you a number of
questions and come up with an answer.

If you ignore hardware, operating system, etc. costs, and just focus on
*SM, you can determine *SM costs in terms of Tivoli "points".  What a
point costs seems quite open for debate.  You'll find a number of
values mentioned in the archives, as I recall from $20-$32 ... though
I've seen or heard of other values outside that range considerably.
Then you get into continuing costs (Tivoli "maintenance", operations,
etc.) ...

I recently spent a little time trying to compare *SM and Netbackup
costs, but ended very frustrated because each is very difficult to
calculate usability, let alone present and future needs.  I will
suggest that you be *very* wary of IBM and Veritas proposals, since
each will try to "win", and thus perhaps not provide the resources you
need to restore what your business expects in a timely fashion.

Executive summary: Sorry,I don't know. :-(

Wayne T. Smith                          ADSM AT Maine DOT edu
ADSM Technical Coordinator - UNET       University of Maine System