ADSM-L

Re: NIC Settings

2002-07-16 19:40:14
Subject: Re: NIC Settings
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 09:37:14 +1000
Geoff,

You are getting the runaround.

Our Solaris admins use this script on solaris 2.6 to determine NIC settings.
The key command is ndd -get.

HTH

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia

#!/bin/ksh

## Loop through each class of interface
echo "" > /tmp/print_network_config.wip.tmp
CLASSES="le hme qfe"
for CLASS in $CLASSES
do
  INTERFACES=`ifconfig -a | awk '{print $1}'| grep :| grep $CLASS| cut -d: -f1
| uniq`
  INSTANCE_COUNT=`echo $INTERFACES | wc -w| awk '{print $1}'`
  DEVICE="/dev/$CLASS"
  COUNT=0

  # Loop through each instance of interface class (eg. each network card).
  for INTERFACE in $INTERFACES
  do
     #echo ""
     #echo "Interface is $INTERFACE Device $DEVICE, instance $COUNT"
     ndd -set $DEVICE instance $INTERFACE_ID > /dev/null 2>&1

     ## Collect Interface details.

     TRANSCEIVER=`ndd -get $DEVICE transceiver_inuse`  #(0 - int rj45 100baseTx)
                               #(1 - ext mii transceiver)
     LINK_SPEED=`ndd -get $DEVICE link_speed`      #(0 - 10Mb, 1 - 100Mb)
     LINK_STATUS=`ndd -get $DEVICE link_status`    #(0 - down, 1 - up)
     LINK_MODE=`ndd -get $DEVICE link_mode`        #(0 - hd, 1 - fd)

     if (test $LINK_SPEED = 0 || test $LINK_STATUS = 0 || test $LINK_MODE = 0)
then
    echo "Problem Found with $DEVICE " >> /tmp/print_network_config.wip.tmp

     case ${LINK_SPEED} in
             0)      echo "Link Speed:  10Mb." >>
/tmp/print_network_config.wip.tmp
                     ;;
             1)      echo "Link Speed:  100Mb." >>
/tmp/print_network_config.wip.tmp
                     ;;
             *)      echo "ERROR:               Cannot determine link speed."
>> /tmp/print_network_config.wip.tmp
                     ;;
     esac

     case ${LINK_STATUS} in
             0)      echo "Link Status:         Down." >>
/tmp/print_network_config.wip.tmp
                     ;;
             1)      echo "Link Status: Up." >>
/tmp/print_network_config.wip.tmp
                     ;;
             *)      echo "ERROR:               Cannot determine link status."
>> /tmp/print_network_config.wip.tmp
                     ;;
     esac

     case ${LINK_MODE} in
             0)      echo "Link Mode:   Half Duplex." >>
/tmp/print_network_config.wip.tmp
                     ;;
             1)      echo "Link Mode:   Full Duplex." >>
/tmp/print_network_config.wip.tmp
                     ;;
             *)      echo "ERROR:               Cannot determine link mode." >>
/tmp/print_network_config.wip.tmp
                     ;;
     esac

     fi

  done
done
mailx -s "Problem with NIC" root < /tmp/print_network_config.wip.tmp
rm /tmp/print_network_config.wip.tmp

>>> GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM 17/07/2002 7:36:07 >>>
Will a Solaris expert please tell me if this is true?

We are having an issue with backup speed on a Solaris server. I posted the
question yesterday but did not hear anything except what I already have been
told, i.e. make sure the duplex is matched properly. The Solaris server we
have is reporting running OS 5.8 and TSM 5.1.1.0, compression has been
turned off.

When I asked for the NIC/switch setting to be verified the answer I got back
was they don't do that on Solaris, on the host side. I would like
verification please. This computer backed up just over 2GB of data in 9.5
hours and at this point I don't know what else to have checked. The 10GB
they have would have taken 4 days at that rate.

I refused to call Tivoli till I get answers to the questions I've asked
here. I have no answers, yet they still want me to call so Tivoli can tell
me to check the same things I don't have answers to.............go figure.

Could someone either straighten me out or shed a little light please? Will
making any changes to the options file help?

Thanks as always for the help.
Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator
NT Systems Support Engineer
SAIC
E-Mail:    <mailto:gillg AT saic DOT com> gillg AT saic DOT com
Phone:  (858) 826-4062
Pager:   (877) 905-7154

This e-mail, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential
and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality
is not waived or lost if you receive it and you are not the intended
recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/ received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review
of this e-mail is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of
confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this
e-mail in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by
telephone or by return e-mail.  You should also delete this e-mail
message and destroy any hard copies produced.