ADSM-L

Re: Exchange file performance

2002-07-03 13:34:56
Subject: Re: Exchange file performance
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 12:32:48 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
Burton, Robert
> I am running TSM server 5.1.0.0, TSM BA Client 5.1.0.1, TDP for Exchange
> 2.2.0.0 and Exchange 2000. I noticed that when I backup the exchange
> database using TDP or BA client I only get approximately 8mb/sec
> aggregate.
> So I created a file of the same size, 1.4gb, and I got 25mb/sec
> aggregate.
>
> Has anyone encountered a performance difference such this when backing up
> Exchange files?

Think about it. When you're backing up a flat file that's 1.4GB in size, the
B/A client opens one file one time, and streams the backup until the file
close. Minimum CPU, minimum back-and-forth traffic, one file--all pretty
optimal conditions for copying a file from point A to point B.

Contrast this with the TDP for Exchange (indeed, *any* TDP agent). It has to
handle a hot backup of an open database file, handle the transactions that
are happening during the backup, and reconcile the changes in the database
files that happen between the beginning and the end of the backup--all while
having to use Microsoft Exchange APIs to do it all.

I think 8MB/sec (or was it 8Mb/sec?) is pretty darned good.

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer
MSCE