ADSM-L

Re: DISKPOOL reduction

2002-06-19 20:07:00
Subject: Re: DISKPOOL reduction
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 19:04:16 -0500
Bill,

The thing to keep in mind is that you can only shrink a diskpool volume
that is empty unless you're comfortable throwing away data.

I adjust disk pool (and pool volume) sizes often.

If you have just one volume:
1. migrate all data to tape;
2. then delete the volume from the pool in TSM - do not delete the pool;
3. then delete the volume file in the OS;
4. then recreate the volume in the OS at the desired size;  I prefer
multiple volumes rather than one real big one;
5. then add the new volume(s) to the pool.

If your pool includes more than one volume:
1. either migrate all data to tape, or set some volumes to read-only, then
Move Data from them into the disk pool;
2. after the read-only volumes are empty, delete them using the procedure
above starting from #2.

My disk pools have ranged from zero to 1 GB (as twenty 50-GB vols) to 43 GB
(as 43 1-GB vols) and many points in between.  My current configuration is
two 1 GB pools, one 28 GB pool, and direct-to-tape with my LTO.  That may
change at any time.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator
Laitram Corporation