ADSM-L

Re: TSM v4.1 clients NOT compatible with V5.1 server?

2002-06-08 09:37:38
Subject: Re: TSM v4.1 clients NOT compatible with V5.1 server?
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 14:41:22 +0300
you can have v4.1, v4.2 and v5.1 clients with v4.2 server and according to
Tivoli all those are working *and* supported configurations. So you can
upgrade your server to 4.2.x.x and everything ought to be fine.
As Don said unsupported does not automatically mean broken. For old/rare
OSes many are still using old v3.1 clients (the last available for my OS/2
is v3.7.2). Just IBM/Tivoli support will recommend you to upgrade before
calling them. Be aware that v4.1 also will go out of support end of the
month. The only reason which can force you to use v4.1 clients is
client/OS incompatibility. The latter is real, i.e. v4.2 client would not
work with Win95 and v5.1 would not with 95&98. But you cannot sign a
support contract with a maillist :-)

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant