ADSM-L

Re: BACKUP to TAPE, PERFORMANCE

2002-05-29 12:57:39
Subject: Re: BACKUP to TAPE, PERFORMANCE
From: Gianluca Mariani1 <gianluca_mariani AT IT.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 18:55:51 +0200
Francisco,
those numbers are normal. 3590 drives have a native transfer rate of
12MB/s. that makes around the 50GB/h mark. to have more than that you have
to compress your data, and the 3590 can compress up to 3:1. whether you can
do that or not depends on your data (3:1 compression ratios are generally
achieved only in mainframe world; in open systems you would expect
something closer to 2:1). other than that, it depends on the number of tape
drives used, and the bandwidth occupancy at backup time if you are in a LAN
environment as it would seem to be your case.

Cordiali saluti
Gianluca Mariani
 Tech Support SSD
Via Sciangai 53, Roma
 phones : +39(0)659664598
                   +393351270554 (mobile)
gianluca_mariani AT it.ibm DOT com

                      Francisco Molero
                      <fmolero AT YAHOO DOT CO        To:       ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      M>                       cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  BACKUP to TAPE,
PERFORMANCE
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      05/29/2002 12:00
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Hi everybody,

My question is simple. We are running selective backup
through Gigabit, and my STGpool is 3590 Tape Pool. I
want to know, how many Gigabytes you backup per hour??

For bigger files I get a 52 GByte/hour. And I think
these is very slow. This test is only 1 client and no
other clients are accessing to Server.

Any Ideas ????

Thanks, Fran.

Copa del Mundo de la FIFA 2002
Disfruta en vmdeo de los mejores momentos desde tu ordenador.
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/fc/es/