ADSM-L

Re: TDP for NDMP

2002-04-23 18:18:18
Subject: Re: TDP for NDMP
From: "Don France (TSMnews)" <DFrance-TSM AT ATT DOT NET>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 15:19:58 -0700
You've just about gottit all.  There is some concern about this whole thing;
currently, you are limited to image backups using NDMP;  if you want
file-level granularity, you must use NFS mount to access the file system
from a supported b/a-client... not as pretty as you'd like, but that's the
way it is.  Then, too, you are limited to NAS filer;  Auspex and other
filers are not supported.

The storage pool limitation comes from the format used to store the data;
they "invented" a new concept/format for NDMP storage pools, so must be kept
segregated from "standard" storage pools;  I THINK you can still use "backup
stg" command -- but you cannot intermix the different types of primary
storage pools in a common copy-pool.

IBM/Tivoli is wondering how much market there is to justify expanding this
support -- (a) file-level granularity and/or (b) other filers.  IMHO, I'd
want to see file-level granularity.  Comments can be posted here...

Don France
Technical Architect - Tivoli Certified Consultant

Professional Association of Contract Employees (P.A.C.E.)
San Jose, CA
(408) 257-3037
don_france AT att DOT net