ADSM-L

System Objects Question

2015-10-04 17:10:43
Subject: System Objects Question
From: Mark Bertrand [mailto:Mark.Bertrand AT usunwired DOT com]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
If TSM alone can't do bare metal restores than why do I need system objects?
I believe TSM backs these up by default. I am trying to do some cleanup and
have found that some client nodes have 30 or 40 thousand files backed up
taking up 4 or 5 GBs. I spoke to Tivoli level 2 support and they told me
that under 4.1.3 TSM has no method of overwriting system objects, it falls
under the policy settings of the management class for the node, although
that will be available in a future release.

So, short of creating a new node for each client and putting the system
objects under a new management class with shorter retention settings, I
though I should ask the question of why do I need these at all. For all past
complete server restores, we have always rebuilt, reloaded the OS, reloaded
the APPS, reloaded Tivoli and finally restored the data.

This is how I understand things to work, since I am pretty new at TSM, I
though I should turn to the experts.

Server 4.1.3 under W2K, clients are 4.1.2 NT4 and W2K. NT4 domain, no Active
Directory.

Your help is appreciated.

Mark Bertrand