ADSM-L

Re: Benefits of moving to platform other than OS/390

2015-10-04 17:10:43
Subject: Re: Benefits of moving to platform other than OS/390
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
I've not done the move yet but expect to in the next 6 months.  The
con
I expect has to do with media movement to and from our offsite vault.
On OS390 we have a vault management system that tells the ops what
tapes
to send offsite, tells the courier which slots to put them in, which
slots to pull and bring back.  On AIX, we don't have such a system.

I'm also implementing a small TSM system on a small AIX network with a
LTO tape library.  What I notice there so far is that the 3584 takes
more operator intervention then does the 3494.  TSM on AIX requires me
to reply to messages to tell the 3584 to look for carts in the i/o
station; the 3494 with TSM on OS390 just detects that it has carts in
the i/o station and files them.

David Ehresman
University of Louisville