ADSM-L

Storage pools on disk array

2002-02-18 15:14:26
Subject: Storage pools on disk array
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 15:11:15 -0500
We have a TSM 4.2.0.0 server running under OS/390. We are getting ready to
install a Hitachi Data Systems 9960 disk subsystem. We are planning to put
some disk storage pools, among other things, on the new subsystem. About 40
of the emulated 3390 model 3 volumes on the subsystem will be used this way.
All of them will be carved out of a RAID group consisting of four physical
disk drives with a capacity of 73 gigabytes each. There will be sixteen
gigabytes of cache memory between the physical disks and the mainframe. How
should I subdivide the available space into storage pools? For example,
should I make each pool out of datasets that are as large as possible and fit
on as few virtual disks as possible, or should I use smaller datasets and
stripe each pool over as many virtual disks as possible?