ADSM-L

Re: One client - two servers

2001-12-10 16:59:13
Subject: Re: One client - two servers
From: Bill Mansfield <WMansfield AT SOLUTIONTECHNOLOGY DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 15:56:06 -0600
You could run two client schedulers, using separate dsm.opt files pointing
to the two TSM servers.  You would create a schedule on TSM server EVEN
that did backups on even days, and a schedule on TSM server ODD that did
backups on odd days (or you could do day of week if you prefer).  Each
scheduler would listen to its own TSM server.  One consequence of this
scheme is that each TSM server will back up all the files that have changed
since the last time IT ran, rather than the last time its counterpart ran,
since the necessary information is held in the TSM database, not on the
client.

This scheme is almost unthinkable; you'll have an interesting time with
restores.  I'm curious - what is the business requirement behind this?

_____________________________
William Mansfield
Senior Consultant
Solution Technology, Inc

                    Michel Engels
                    <Michel.Engels@DE       To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    VOTEAM.BE>              cc:
                    Sent by: "ADSM:         Subject:     One client - two
servers
                    Dist Stor
                    Manager"
                    <[email protected]
                    .EDU>

                    12/10/2001 08:22
                    AM
                    Please respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist Stor
                    Manager"

My client is studying the implementation of a SAN. And on top of that there
will
be two SAN's in two different places to be able to create a DR site. What
my
client is asking is to study if it is feasable and thinkable to do the
backups
on the two different SAN's (with tape robot and necessary TSM Servers)
alternatively ie one day at TSM server 1 the other day to server 2.

In my idea it is the dsm.opt or the dsm.sys which directs the client to the
server. Alternating to the two TSM servers would mean updating these files
and
restarting the client every day. Not forgetting the difficulty to figure
out to
which TSM server to connect to restore a file of a few days ago not knowing
by
which server it has been backed up.

Does anyone see a possible configuration to fullfill my client whishes? Any
comment is appreciated.

Michel Engels
TSM Consultant
Devoteam Belgium