ADSM-L

Re: Seek advice on Lotus Notes R4.6 backup

2001-11-22 07:26:15
Subject: Re: Seek advice on Lotus Notes R4.6 backup
From: Marc Lowers <Marc.R.Lowers AT GSK DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 12:22:49 +0000
We now use TDP with Notes 5, but when we backed up on Notes 4.5 a backup
would be performed while the Lotus Domino Server is not running as the
backup software will not be able to backup open files and files which are
in the process of being modified.

To avoid problems with access for the users to their mail we replicated the
data onto a seperate server and backed that up using the backup/archive
client.

                    puimym AT HK1 DOT IBM
                    .COM

                    Sent by:             To:     ADSM-L
                    ADSM-L AT VM DOT MARI
                    ST.EDU               cc:
                                         Subject:     Seek advice on Lotus
Notes R4.6 backup

                    22-Nov-2001
                    11:47
                    Please respond
                    ADSM-L AT VM DOT MARI
                    ST.EDU

Dear TSMers,

My customer has a Lotus Notes R4.6 Server on AIX. As you all know that TDP
for Notes has already been withdrawn and my customer still hasn't got a
plan to migrate to R5. Do anyone of you have experience in just using TSM
backup/archive client to backup R4.6 online?

Actually we have set up a testing environment in the customer site. We had
just one AIX server ver 4.3.3 being both the Notes and TSM server/client
(ver 4.2.1) connecting to a 3494 tape library. We have a problem when a
user's mailbox is receiving or sending files during backup. I set the
"sharedstatic" mode in the backup copy group, the file is backed up even it
is being modified. When we try to restore the nsf file, the mailbox is
corrupted and only the "inbox" is accessible.

Is there a way to "freeze" a particular user's mailbox before backup, and
"refreeze" it after backup? Or simply, is there any better method to handle
the R4.6 online backup without TDP for notes?

Many thanks.

Molly