ADSM-L

Re: SAN Environment

2001-10-24 09:38:43
Subject: Re: SAN Environment
From: Jörg Nouvertné <joerg.nouvertne AT WTAL DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 15:35:18 +0200
That's correct as long as you install the Storage Agent on the client, which
"borrows" a drive from the TSM server and send only the management info
through the LAN. Therefore you needs the (expensive) STA license and to my
knowledge the library sharing option.

We used it once but had to disable it, since in our environment (W2K
Client/STA and AIX TSM 4.2.0.1) we cannot read most of the data being backed
up, because the real blockheader on the tape does not match the expecting
one. But it's fast, together with the TDP for Domino we achieved ~18MB/sec
throughput for each tape drive (3 in parallel). I hope, IBM/Tivoli can
resolve this issue soon.

Joerg Nouvertne
http://home.wtal.de/the_swordsman