ADSM-L

Re: performance question

2001-10-05 17:30:55
Subject: Re: performance question
From: "Wayne T. Smith" <ADSM AT MAINE DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 17:28:14 -0400
(Rob Schroeder wrote on apparently slow backups)...

Assuming there are no strange messages in the schedule log (errors,
warnings, retries), I'd try the following (individually):

(1) for a windows client, I've seen bad performance with settings other
     than:

   TCPBUFFSIZE           31
   TCPWINDOWSIZE     63

(2) some people have suggested this can correct some performance
problems (opposite of what might be intuitive)..

   largecommbuffers no

(3) can the problem be isolated to a particular file system?

(4) Do you use windows file compression (don't if performance matters)?
(4a) Is the file system and swap file defragmented? Was it "converted"
from fat to NTFS?

(5) Do you have a file system with *many* files or directories in it?

(6) Do you have large portions of a file system excluded with "exclude"
directives?  If so, see if "exclude.dir" may be used instead.

I don't need the answers to any of these questions, but I'm sure many
would be interested.  I'm also interested in other possibilities. For
example, I have a linux system with performance that seems slow and
"needs" to be better.  Here are some stats:

   objects inspected     2.5M
   objects backed up  35K
   objects expired      13K
   data transferred      1.3G