ADSM-L

Re: Etherchannel and EBU backups.

2001-09-24 08:48:16
Subject: Re: Etherchannel and EBU backups.
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 15:46:39 +0300
Eric,

if you set-up an EtherChannel on both sides (!) it is like connecting
through 400 Mb/s interface (virtual one which distributes load on real ones
ent0, ent1, ...). This is done at interface (OSI Level 2) and has to be
transparent to your sessions. Anyway you must have 4 adapters on both ends
and good switch or you will get a bottleneck limiting your speed.
Maybe you can tweak TSM and backup to more than one server but the restore
later will be a nightmare.
Install Etherchannels on both ends, test its throughput with ftp and that's
all. If you are not satisfied with the speed go to Gigabit Ethernet.
One session with tuned TCPwindowsize must perform similarly to four and to
be limited only by TCP/IP throughput. But more sessions may help if you
backup direct to tape to use many drives simultaneously.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Eric Winters <ewinters AT AU1.IBM DOT COM> on 23.09.2001 08:03:51